Friday 2 May 2014

Frozen Theme Cake

I was asked to do a simple cake of the Frozen characters of Queen Elsa and Princess Anna using a digital image of a paper plate.  What was supposed to be simple turned out to be more expensive, complicated and frustrating as I started designing the cake.  

First, I thought I could actually make the pictures using fondant but I realized none of the characters were looking like how they were supposed to look like.  Secondly, I decided to print out the image using my cake printer BUT I ran out of edible ink!  I wanted to avoid having to buy ink cartridge as I knew it was going to cost me a lot.  So, I contacted a person who does edible images to print out my picture.  However, she was not available.  Lastly, I contacted my cake supplier who told me that my printer cartridges were no longer being sold as my printer is an older model!  It still looks like new!  

The only option was to refill my cartridges.  I felt like a scientist.  After I had refilled my cartridges with ink, I tested it on regular paper so I would not run the risk of wasting an icing sheet.  I noticed the colour was not perfect but it had to do! I think the only fun part in making this cake was creating Olaf! and hearing my youngest son scream out all the characters and hum the famous song of the movie.




No comments:

Post a Comment